Cranbury News on

Explore NJ Town Guide and discover everything the Garden State has to offer.

Shoppers choose NJ Town Guide as a source for discounts and coupons to many shops and businesses.

For more information on advertising your business on NJ Town Guide click here


08512 (Cranbury Weather Forecast, NJ)

Find your town in the letter group below!

| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I - K | L | M | N | O | P - Q | R | S | T | U-V | W - Z

Surrounding towns:

East Windsor Township, Monroe Township, Plainsboro Township, and South Brunswick Township

What to do...

Government Historic Places
Education Jobs
Arts & Entertainment Parks
Business & Shopping Places of Worship
Cemeteries Real Estate
Classifieds Sports & Leisure
Clubs & Organizations Visiting & Lodging

Official Web Site

A deed for a sale of land and improvements dated March 1, 1698, is the earliest evidence of buildings constructed in present-day Cranbury. A home in Cranbury was used by Alexander Hamilton and the Marquis de Lafayette as a headquarters during the American Revolutionary War, and they were visited by General George Washington on June 26, 1778. As part of orders issued during the Presidency of George Washington, maps of Cranbury were made showing the presence of a church, a mill and 25 other buildings. During its earliest years, the location was usually spelled as "Cranberry". Rev. Joseph G. Symmes argued in 1857 that the name was spelled improperly and that the suffix "bury" was more appropriate, leading the name of the community and brook to be changed to "Cranbury" in 1869.

Cranbury Township was incorporated as a township on March 7, 1872, from portions of both Monroe Township and South Brunswick Township. Portions of the township were taken on April 1, 1919, to form Plainsboro Township.

George Washington's headquarters were located in Cranbury while planning for the Battle of Monmouth, a major turning point during the Revolutionary War.

Many buildings on Cranbury's Main Street and in the surrounding area date to the 18th or 19th century. The entire downtown area is designated as a Historic District, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 as District #80002502.



Cranbury Township
23-A North Main Street
Cranbury , NJ 08512


Construction Official 609-395-0900, x225

Court Administator

Fire - 911

First Aid - 911

Health Department

Library - 609-655-0555

Office of Emergency Management (OEM)

Police - 911
(Non-emergency) 609-395-0031

Public Works 609-395-0900, x222

Recreation 609-395-0900 x302

Senior Citizens

Tax Collector's Office 609-395-0900, x233

Tax Assessor 609-395-0900, x233


Board of Education


Cranbury School - Elementary Grades K - 8
23 North Main Street
Cranbury, NJ 08512

Princeton High School - Grades 9 - 12
151 Moore Street
Princeton, NJ 08540

Private schools

Montessori Preschool Academy
2674 U.S. 130
Cranbury Township, NJ 08512


Arts & Entertainment




Martial Arts


Performing Arts / Theaters


Funeral Homes & Monuments

Clubs and Organizations

Historic Places

Cranberry Historical and Preservation Society
6 South Main Street
Cranbury, NJ 08512

Cranberry Museum
4 Park Place East
Cranbury Township, NJ 08512

Cranberry Mills
South Main Street and Evans Drive
Cranbury, NJ 08512

This gristmill is Cranberry Mills, the first industry in
Cranbury - erected by Thomas Grubbs in 1737, on the
south side of Cranbury Brook. The village, was once called
Cranberry or Cranberry Town, changed its name to
Cranbury late in the 19th century. The gristmill formed the
nucleus for the development of the Village of Cranbury,
drawing settlers, post houses, inns, churches and small
businesses related to farming. A dam for waterpower was
built, creating a roadway over the brook and creating a
small lake, Brainerd Lake, so called in honor of the 18th
century missionary, David Brainerd. The dam, roadway
and gristmill were constructed at the intersection of two
major Indian trails, one from South Amboy and one from
New Brunswick.

In 1840, a water-powered sawmill was erected next to the
gristmill but both were destroyed by fire, rebuilt and razed
again by fire. After an 1860 blaze, the gristmill was rebuilt
and a miller's house was erected south of the mill, at
6 South Main Street. Serving as Cranbury's Police Station
from 1968 to 1985, the miller's house is now maintained
by the Cranbury Historical and Preservation Society as
the Cranbury History Center. In 1939, the inactive gristmill was
demolished and the area was named Memorial Park,
dedicated in 1949 to Cranbury Veterans of World War I
and subsequent wars.


Places of Worship

Sports & Leisure





Diving Instruction